Thursday, February 23, 2012

Stuff I Like: Podcast Number One

 Creating a Podcast For the First Time


It's been an interesting couple days learning how to create a podcast.  I was fortunate in that my son Jack was willing to help me with this project.  What follows is essentially a quick improv skit.  I have to say that I was impressed with Jack's quick reaction and ability to think on his feet.  This is obviously all one-take stuff here, and fret not dear reader, we intend on keeping our day jobs.

The process was an interesting:

First we recorded the bit with an RCA model VR5220-A portable usb recorder.  The quality is not the best, but for less than thirty dollars you get a quick & dirty microphone with built-in memory that plugs strait into your computer.  We used an old Casio CTK-601 Keyboard for the telephone ringing effect and the almost audible audience clapping at the start of the show.  The bedding music is an original piece written and performed by my current band "The Janis Thorn".  The recording was also a quick and dirty recording using the same RCA device.
 
The next step was to import all the different audio tracks into Audacity and mix the tracks together.  This was my first time using Audacity for anything more than a quick 2-track mix.  I had a little difficulty getting past the initial learning curve.  The software is limited, but for free one really can't complain.  I then used Audacity to export the mix into a .wav file for further use.

To post the file to the web, I needed to convert it from .wav to a smaller .mp3 file.  iTunes came to the rescue here and allowed me to do a .mp3 conversion.

The next step was to create an account with a free podcasting service.  My first try was with PodBean.com however when trying to test the podcast I was shown an eternal buffering notice.  I tried several browsers to see if it had an impact, but none worked, therefore I will not link directly to podbean from this blog because they are on my 'list' for wasting my time.

Finally I created an account on  PodOmatic  the process of creating an account, uploading, and publishing a podcast was quick and easy.  I like quick & easy, which leads me to segue to my first podcast:  "Stuff I Like"




 


No comments:

Post a Comment